Perfected by me over 15 years.The perfect balance between of ease of cooking with pantry/fridge-common ingredients and rich tomatoey goodness.
- 1 punnet ground beef (the Woolworths organic minced beef tastes best)
- 1 big white or brown onion (sliced)
- 2 big cooking carrots (grated)
- 2 zucchinis (grated)
- 500g pre-sliced mushrooms
- 1 heaped teaspoon prechopped garlic from a jar
- half teaspoon prechopped chilli from a jar
- 1 beef stock cube (dissolved in hot water)
- generous shake of salt
- 1 jar tomato passata
- 1 800g tin of tomatos
- big shake of dried oregano (e.g. two heaped dessert spoons)
- big shake of dried parsley (e.g. two heaped dessert spoons)
- big shake of dried basil (e.g. two heaped dessert spoons)
- grate carrots and zucchinis, put to the side
- Fry up onions till soft
- Fry up meat till well browned (with onions)
- Put everything else in!
- Simmer till the ingredients of the sauce seem ‘saucy’ and well integrated. Usually takes 1 to 2 hrs. Make sure you stir often so it doesn’t stick.
Serve with al-dente pasta (thin spaghetti or regular spaghetti), grated parmesan cheese and optionally, good quality crusty bread and butter.Good luck!!! It’s a pretty fail-safe recipe.